Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Scrubbing Bubbles. Or Scrubbing w/no Bubbles.

On Sunday I tried my hand at making my own laundry detergent.

and...
It was MUCH easier than I thought it would be!!

I've just loaded the machine (I have a HE front loader) and so now I play the waiting game!

SUPPLIES

1 bar Fels-Naptha
1 cup Borax
2 cup Washing soda

micro-plane grater/zester
detergent container


You want to grate/zest the bar of soap as small as you can. I ended up going back and breaking it apart a little with my hands. Then you mix everything together and put it in your storage container! I bought a glass pasta jar that was on sale at Hobby Lobby.

My front loader has a removable cup so that you can place dry detergent in it's own compartment. But you could easily mix 2 T of detergent with some water and put it in the liquid compartment. I almost always put vinegar in the softener compartment too. Works great to soften and take care of any smells.

Using your own detergent in front loading or other HE machines is perfectly safe. When you make your own you're not including lots of chemical agents that make the soap sud. For more information on that visit this website.

So I decided to make my own detergent for a number of reasons;
1) reduce our chemical load
2) less expensive
3) baby-girl has sensitive skin.

I'm interested in seeing how the Fels-Naptha works, especially since it says on the bar that it is a skin and eye irritant and I'm not entirely sure what all the ingredients are (I have such a HUGE list of items to look up!) But I have to comment on how wonderful my hands felt when I rinsed them off after zesting the bar - they were not dry like they normally are after I wash my hands with soap. In fact, they felt soft and moisturized!










No comments: