Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Sometimes we just need a reminder.

"But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said. Peace I leave with you; My peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid." John 14:26-27

What reminder do you need today? Do you need to remember that God loves you? That God knows where you're at - He sees your tears, your laughter, your brokenness, your surrender? AND He loves you right in that moment - in our ugly rags, in our hopelessness, in our unfaithfulness. We'd NEVER make it if we had to clean up our act before approaching the Throne of GRACE. Do we need a reminder that God cares about the little things just as much as the big things in our lives?

I don't want to acknowledge that this week has been really hard for me. I don't want to admit that even though I absolutely love being at this school teaching, that my heart aches to be in a car driving, in a mixture of awkward silence and conversation with my Dad, to Oregon. I don't want to admit that even though I'll be making money and drinking a margarita on Saturday, that I'd rather be sitting in a hot gymnasium during a boring graduation ceremony. I want to be caught up in the hectic and unexplainable emotion of the end of the year on campus. And how do I explain the joy I find here and the fear I have of leaving again. And how do I explain how much I love Oregon and how excited I am to be there again. How do I tell you that I'm extremely excited for you - but I want to be selfish and tell you to stay. Stay close to me.

It isn't all the confusing thoughts floating in and out that bring tears to my eyes - it's the fact that Jesus cares. He cares about the little decisions and thoughts as well as the big decisions and thoughts. And that is overwhelming. And His peace is overwhelming - because I know that with Him I'll make it. No matter what State I'm in. No matter which friends surround me. No matter what job I have.
He's the sunshine that rests gently on my face while the 10th graders holler and throw pencils across the classroom. He sits next to me while the 11th graders discuss the Holocaust. He holds my hand while I plead with the Seniors to turn in their work so they can graduate.
He's my Strength, my Hope, my Firm Foundation. One moment at a time. One reminder at a time. One. Day. At. A. Time.

No comments: