Thursday, March 13, 2008

Man, I remember when weeks were really long. I wonder what it is that makes the days go by so quickly now. Sometimes it’s an invited quickness. Sometimes time ticks away no matter how tightly we hold on. Sometimes, too, it is as if time stands altogether still.
It makes me wonder if I’m doing anything worthwhile. I know I’m where I’m supposed to be, but I wonder if I sell myself short, sitting silently in the sun instead of making a difference. I think of friends who go to the ends of the earth to hold dying children in their arms, sit for hours guarding prisoners, coach sports, train for the combat we hope is only Hollywood-itized, dedicate themselves to higher education, and fly countless hours to deliver God knows what to the base on the other side of the world.
Jimmy Eat World has a song titled 23. I find a little amusing that after 23 years I still haven’t quite figured “it” out. Do you think we ever will? Maybe I do have it figured out though . . . I’m just too stubborn. Too stubborn to live, change, hope, love, try.

“Amazing still it seems
I'll be 23
I won't always love what I'll never have
I won't always live in my regrets

You'll sit alone forever
If you wait for the right time
What are you hoping for?
I'm here I'm now I'm ready
Holding on tight
Don't give away the end
The one thing that stays mine”

No comments: