Sunday, September 19, 2010

Day # 2 without Zofran! I'm trying not to get too excited...

The dreaded countdown has begun, in 6 short days I'll have to say goodbye to my husband and let him fly with a bunch of other husbands, wives, girlfriends, boyfriends, sons and daughters, to the Middle East. We laugh that UAE (United Arab Emirates) will be like spending 4-6 months at the beach and getting paid a lot to vacation... But let's just say I'm hardly any happier about it now than I was when I heard Ryan had volunteered to go 9 months ago.

I can talk myself into circles on this subject... mainly it boils down to my struggle being a very selfish one. We've barely been married 3 months. I don't want to spend this time of year celebrating holidays as a married woman, alone. I'm pregnant.
But, I married into the Military. He'll only be gone 4[-6] months. He's guaranteed to be home before the baby is born (of course, that one I'll just have to keep praying about because I have a feeling babies have a mind of their own and it'll come when it wants to come.) He needs to do this to advance his career. We haven't PCSed (permanent change of station), so it isn't like I'm in a foreign state by myself while he's gone - I'll be at home, in Anchorage, subbing, baking, being with friends and family. It, well, it just sucks. We do get paid extra - for hazardous duty (awwesome) and separation... my plan for that is savings because who knows how work will go for me once the baby comes. AND we don't get taxed on any of that while Ryan's deployed...

But God has been faithful in the past, and I don't doubt that He will continue to be the same here in the future. I just have a hard time trusting, I shamefully admit. I realize I'm not really in control of what takes place day to day, but even when I'm excited about adventure, the unknown scares me.

So, since I still have not figured out how to change these events, I might as well pull-up my boot straps and get on with it =) The Emirates is located in the southeast part of the Persian Gulf - it shares sea boarders with all the countries we regularly hear about in the news. It consists of 7 states, or emirates (because they're ruled by Emirs) - Abu Dhabi (where Ryan "says" they'll be), Dubai, Sharjah, Ajman, Umm al-Quwain, Ras al-Khaimah and Fujairah. Because of their oil, UAE is one of the wealthiest countries. You should probably google Dubai and check out the hotels... And there is a mall somewhere with a water park where a slide takes you into the ocean - although I can't find that information on the Internet. And then an indoor ski resort - haha, one of the guys going has never been skiing, he promised he'd go for the first time while in the desert =)

Keep us in your prayers. I'm sure these few months will be wonderful and horrible in their own ways.

No comments: