Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Tortillas!

Ah yes, today is all about my [familia's] love of tortillas!

Last week I think, or maybe the week before, I tried my hand at a tortilla recipe from Pinterest. It did not go so well... I only made 10, and I still haven't finished eating them - and this is from the family that can eat a whole bag in one week (thus why I decided to try making my own so we didn't have to spend so much on the ones from the store). So I asked around for a recipe and some tips.

My mom sent me one from Martha Stewart;


FLOUR TORTILLAS
3 Cup Flour
1 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 Cup Lard
3/4 Cup warm water
Knead all ingredients and let rest for 30 minutes. Divide and roll into 10 [I made 12] balls.
Cover and let rest about 20 minutes. Roll flat into tortillas. Cook in a cast iron pan just till starting to brown.

THEY ARE DELICIOUS!!
testales 

not so pretty... 
much better

takes about a minute on each side

golden!

yum!
I found some great tips at this blog, the author had a lot of advice and so did other bakers! Most of my tortillas didn't come out round, but if I took my time I could make them decent looking. These are time consuming, it takes about 3 or 4 minutes per tortilla, and I made 12. Not to mention the mixing, resting, dividing and resting. But they are very easy! What else... as you see I did not use a cast iron skillet, and I left my skillet at a 5 on my electric oven top. I rolled my tortillas as this as possible, the do sorta puff/thicken... but they are very sturdy and don't really stick to the counter so you don't have to worry about them tearing. 

I hope you enjoy! And do come back and tell me how yours went!

No comments: